Purpose of the programme:
The international market for animated media content is growing, and until recently, this market had remained untapped by South Africans. Television, advertisements and film festivals are using more and more animation, and fabricated content is becoming more feasible as technology is becoming cheaper. The music video station market is also growing and demands animated content and animated station identities.
The purpose of this Qualification is to enable qualified learners to generate independent work and critically apply the principles of 2D animation. Self-employment opportunities exist for qualified learners as they do not need a large studio, and technology is becoming more affordable. This makes 2D animation more accessible than, for example, 3D animation. 2D animation requires a strategic balance between art and business, and is more artistic than, for example, design, without compromising the discipline required to build the industry and business.
Developing local 2D animation competence will ensure local cultural development: a local form of expression is developed, with a local graphic style, as a local art form. This can improve the export of 2D animation as cultural products.
Learning Material included:
- Learner Guides
- Portfolio Guide
- Assessment Guides
- Formative and Summative Assessment
- 12 months
Who can apply:
- 2D Designer and Modellers
Exit Level Outcomes
- Select and analyse reference material relevant for specific animation productions.
- Analyse visual and motion requirements for specific animation productions.
- Range: visual and motion requirements are contained in scripts, storyboards, treatments, etc.
- Specify visual and motion treatment for specific animation productions.
- Develop and select animation outputs for specific animation productions.
- Evaluate animated visual elements against specified for animation production requirements.
- Range: evaluation includes testing where relevant.
- Manage animation production processes and information according to specification.
- Range: information includes all animation process and production outputs, such as visual elements, physical pictorial representations, etc.
SAQA QUALIFICATION ID:
SAQA MINIMUM CREDITS: